Payne Chevrolet has been a staple in Springfield, Tennessee since 1926, enduring the Great Depression, and thriving throughout the years. We’ve had three different locations over the years, however, the care and support we feed back into the community has been the same since the beginning. Our first location was established in 1926 in downtown Springfield, TN on Main Street. This is where the current playground/parking lot is for Springfield Baptist Church. The lot was a very tiny space, so we were only there for a few years until 1928.
Once a little expansion was necessary, our next location was on Locust Street, where the current Robertson County Senior Center is located. The business expanded to two different buildings, one for service and one for the sales showroom and office spaces, to increase productivity. Despite the efficiency between the two buildings, the space maxed out around having 30 vehicles available at any time. So as a result of increased business, the need arose yet again for an even bigger area. So in 1969 we built a new building with more lot space and moved into our current and final location at 2807 Memorial Blvd. in Springfield, TN.
Payne Chevrolet was started by Mr. Byram Payne in January of 1926. With some help from his brother Van, the two managed the business together for a few years until Byram eventually bought him out completely. Byram made it a family business and brought in his two sons to help out: Don and Bobby Payne. He was succeeded by his two sons and they managed the dealership for a number of years until Don’s sons took over.
Currently we are in our THIRD generation of family ownership with Jeff and David Payne at the helm. They have been co-owners and dealers since 1977 and 1985, respectively, and are continuing the family legacy.
If you have relatives from Springfield, or in the neighboring towns surrounding it, you have heard about the quality care from Payne Chevrolet. We support many local schools and businesses, allowing us to pour money back into the town where we have been located for over 90 years.